Check out my ETSY shop!!!!

Check out my ETSY shop!!!!
Click on the photo to see my latest creations at Etsy!!!

Friday, July 2, 2010

FFF-Wonderful Vacation!

We just returned from a great 8-day vacation to Historic Williamsburg.  I have to say that I never realized Virginia had so much to offer in the way of history and fun!  We spent the week with my brother and his family so the kids really enjoyed spending time with cousins!

The weekend that we were in Williamsburg, there was a special event…the re-enactment of Cornwallis’ surrender so there were lots of extra historic people to talk to and event from history to see re-enacted.  My kids were able to talk to a slave about what it was like for him, several Red Coat military men, dressmakers and wigmakers of the day and much more!  Hannah has an interest in pharmacy so she loved talking to the doctor running the local apothacary!

summer-williamsburg 2010 080

summer-williamsburg 2010 086

summer-williamsburg 2010 096

summer-williamsburg 2010 134

We also spent part of one day at Jamestown..the first permanent English settlement…

summer-williamsburg 2010 013

This was one of the 3 replica ships that were the first to arrive in this country in the early 1700’s.  We learned about Pocahontas and her father who helped these early settlers.  This tour really made history come to life!

summer-williamsburg 2010 147

 Spent a half day at Yorktown…this is where Cornwallis and the British finally surrendered..ending the war.  This was the camps doctor…

summer-williamsburg 2010 166

summer-williamsburg 2010 010

Grinding corn…

summer-williamsburg 2010 142

Doing laundry…

summer-williamsburg 2010 159

summer-williamsburg 2010 017

Unfortunately, the entire time we were there, the temps were in the 100’s with high humidity!  WE ROASTED!!  My poor little Guatemalan man can not handle temps like that…sweat just poured off him!  Luckily we had a week-long pass to Busch Gardens and Water Country USA!!!

summer-williamsburg 2010 001

summer-williamsburg 2010 041 summer-williamsburg 2010 043

summer-williamsburg 2010 057

summer-williamsburg 2010 066 summer-williamsburg 2010 115 summer-williamsburg 2010 120 summer-williamsburg 2010 190 summer-williamsburg 2010 198

This truly was a wonderful educational and FUN vacation.  If you ever have the chance to visit this part of the country, I would recommend giving yourselves lots of time…we barely scratched the surface of all that there is to see and do in this area.  My kids have learned so much more about the early formation of our country by seeing it first hand and being able to talk to the very knowledgeable actors who played the role of early Americans so well!

I would recommend a ghost tour of the haunted houses of historic Williamsburg…we did this with our older girls only and we all loved it!

One of our favorite places to eat was at Cristina Campbell’s Tavern in Williamsburg…this restaurant was said to be George Washington’s favorite seafood restaurant and much of the same food is still served there today!

summer-williamsburg 2010 002

On the steps of the historic tavern/restaurant we ate at…we made reservations 3 weeks in advance…it’s very popular!

summer-williamsburg 2010 169

Although we had an amazing time, there’s still no place like home so we were all happy to arrive home safely yesterday!  Ricky even hugged the brick walls of the outside of the house when we arrived home…he really is a homebody so he missed it much more than the rest of us!

Have a safe Happy 4th of July holiday….

11 comments:

Becca said...

I love Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown, and yes, it was BRUTALLY hot here in VA last week! Glad you all had a great time. We've never done Busch Gardens, but it looks really fun.

The Mac's House said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to Williamsburg. I "LIVE" here and LOVE it..... We go to Colonial Williamsburg all the time to shop, walk around and just enjoy all the tourists who are in visiting.

Busch Gardens and Water Country are great for cooling off.

There is a little BBQ joint that you'll have to try next time called Pierce's BBQ. I live just down the road from them. In the morning you can just smell them firing up their wood burner to cook the meat. It is delicious!

Come back again!

Melinda said...

That looks so much fun! I love history so that would be right up my ally! Glad you made it home safely! Have a great 4th!

Spudsnsalsa said...

Can't wait for the girls to see this post!!!! Washington D.C. and Williamsburg are on our 'to do' list.

Always find it ironic that the girls have skin for sun but ZERO tolerance for heat!?!? Both dive for the A.C. as soon as possible in the summer (:
Suz

Hannah said...

What an amazing vacation! Dmitry would have LOVED your vacation!! Totally his kind of stuff :)

Emily said...

Looks like a fabulous vacation! Happy 4th to you!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous vacation!!! I love al your pictures and I would of needed the water park too with that heat!

Gardenia said...

I think that is so cool that you took an educational vacatrion. of course, there's always time for a little water park and amusement rides fun too! (and you do seem to take really cool vaca's to cultural places) but I remember Williamsburg as a child, and really enjoyed it. It would definitely be worth going back there because it's been a while since I was there. I love the family pic of you all -- the first one.

Taylor family: Tim, Becky, Tabitha said...

I know what you mean about "there's no place like home". Looks like you had an amazing educational vacation though.

Leah Spring said...

Looks like a great vacation! I remember going there when I was a kid, and look forward to taking my own girls. I never was able to take my boys, but my girls will hopefully get to go. We'll have to get together soon!

Melissa G said...

Oh goodness, those two little boys with those big guns is precious! It looks like a fun family trip!